Parenting Plan Modifications

Parenting Plan Modifications

Related Links: Child SupportChild custody & visitationCustody by Grandparents / Non-ParentsPaternity

Regarding child custody, it is important for both parents to maintain a healthy relationship with their children. If one parent is harming the children, or undermining the other parent’s relationship with the children, it is possible to seek a parenting plan modification from the courts.

L.J. Stein Family Law will work with clients who seek or oppose a modification of their parenting plan. L.J. Stein has a strong understanding of the issues involved in child custody modification cases. He will work with you to set realistic goals that serve the best interests of your child.

Modifying Your Child Custody and Visitation

The parties can agree to visitations which differ from the parenting plan. However, informal changes are not legally binding and will not hold up in court. Parenting plan modifications need to be done through the court system if parents wish for them to be enforceable.

Family court judges examine many factors when considering a petition to modify a parenting plan:

  • A parenting plan can be modified if there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original parenting plan was implemented. These changes could include a change in working schedule, or relocation.
  • A change in custody may be granted if it is proven to be in the best interest of the child. This normally reflects a major shift in the lives of the parents, such as chronic drug or alcohol use or criminal behavior. If the child is endangered in any way, a parenting plan modification may be granted.
  • A modification may be in order if one parent is intentionally alienating the affections of the child toward the other parent.
  • When a parent moves away, it can be very disruptive to the visitation rights of the other parent, effectively cutting them off from their child.

We offer a free, confidential consultation.
Call us at 251-433-7272 to schedule your appointment, or contact us online.